Immigration of Russians into the United States in considerable numbers began in the last quarter of the 19th Century, when they came first from sections of the country then known as Austria- Hungary, and later from Russia. These immigrants lived together in small groups. They later organized themselves into brotherhoods and societies so that they could be of aid and assistance to one another in case of sickness or death, supply fellowship, and establish Russian churches and schools in their communities.
In such manner were many Russian churches and schools established in the state of Pennsylvania, in the Midwest, and here in Connecticut and New England.
In Waterbury, the early Russian families organized themselves into two brotherhoods: St Vladimir and St Michael. These Brotherhoods sponsored the present Orthodox Church in Waterbury. On August 5, 1906, the members of St Vladimir and St Michael Brotherhoods, together with Rev Vladimir Alexandroff and Choirmaster Constantine Buketoff, unanimously expressed their desire to erect on Crown St a Russian Orthodox Church in the name of the “Nativity of the Birth-Giver of God.”
It was not until November 22, 1921 that the Russian Church was duly incorporated.
On June 17, 1968 the parish purchased twelve acres of land in the northern section of Waterbury at 3125 N Main St as the future site of a new church, rectory and hall. St Mary’s Orthodox Church was completed in March 1974 and seats 325 people. The rectory was completed and blessed on October 26, 1975. In 1981 St Mary’s Orthodox Center was completed.
Our Church School and the Church choir have always endeavored to preserve Orthodoxy with programs of education, religious instruction and music.
Keen interest and participation in civic activities of the Citry of Waterbury have been shown on numerous occasions, and the Church has always been looked to for cooperation by the many civic organizations in the city. The Church has also shown a great interest in social well-being of its members and of the rest of the community by sponsoring lectures, concerts, plays, picnics and other forms of social entertainment.
Image above was created in Pix4D, a software program for drones that creates 2 & 3D imagery that can be used in mapping and survey models. The link below is an interactive link that allows the user to move about the low resolution 3D model.
Success in the past, as in the present, has been due in great part to the unstinting efforts, donations, interest and loyalty of the parishioners who have given of their time, talents, and means. With the help of God and the continued support of a very active, loyal and faithful congregation, the St Mary’s Orthodox Church of Waterbury will continue to be the spiritual, charitable, educational and civic-minded corporation for the benefit and well-being of the local Orthodox community.
Throughout its history, the Church has fulfilled the spiritual needs of the members residing not only in the City of Waterbury, but also in the surrounding towns.
Information for this post was obtained here.
Follow Samara Media, LLC on Social Media with the following links: